Thursday, July 30, 2009

Ten on Thursday!

So, it's been way too long since I've updated... I know, I know... shame on me! The first few weeks after I move, I was too overwhelmed to write anything. Then, the last few weeks have just been a mix of trying to stay busy and not really feeling motivated to write. But, I'm ready to get back into the habit and plan to update everyone on what's been going on with me!

I'll start off with a new list called Ten on Thursday. It's supposed to be Ten on Tuesday, but all my days are the same right now, so I'm going to cheat.

1. I really do love NY. Even though I miss my family A LOT, I am so in love with this city. There is so much to do and see, so many amazing restaurants and I feel so lucky to have the opportunity to actually live (and hopefully work soon!) here. I'm starting to really feel comfortable with my surroundings and finding my way around and I can't wait until we finally get our apartment.

2. I forgot how much I love to read. To pass the time, I've been going to the library once a week to get magazines and books. I love the library here. My location is small, but close enough to walk to and has a good selection of books. I'm never buying another book again! The library is the place to get books!

3. I've started to apply for jobs and so far things are going well. I don't want to jinx myself so I'm not going to say anything just yet. But I'm very positive that things will go well for me here.

4. Next weekend my Mom is coming to visit and I'm very excited to see her! We are going to spend lots of time sightseeing in the city and going out to eat. This will also be the first time my Mom meets my in-laws. How crazy is that?

5. Luckily for me, the weather in NYC has been awesome. There has been lots of rain, but it's a nice warm summer rain and thunderstorms. I heard that Toronto has been pretty cold... sorry to hear it!

6. I joined a gym nearby with Robin and we have been going to the gym about 5-6 times a week. I'm not losing a ton of weight, but I'm definitely more fit and I feel great!

7. There are a few Canadian items that I really really miss. Wine gums, Catalina salad dressing (doesn't taste the same here), all dressed chips, CTV news, the bright colourful Canadian money, Square One shopping centre, fat free yogurt with no aspartame, Salami (not the same here), bread from Cordi bakery or any bakery (the bread here is also just not the same), my hair stylist Zofia, Loblaws and PC brand products!

8. I haven't really had the motivation to make any jewellery since I've moved. Not sure why, but I hope it's just a phase!

9. Immigration-wise - things are moving along very well. I have a Social Security Number, New York Driver's license, US Bank cards and just got a notice that my Greencard application is moving right along. Next week I go for a Biometrics appointment - where I get my picture taken and my fingerprints completed for my Greencard - and then soon after that I should be hearing about my work permit.

10. And last but not least, things with Robin and I are going AMAZING! Finally being together has been the easier part of this whole move. We thoroughly enjoy eachother's company and despite our differences and annoying habits, we as as happy as can be!

Stay tuned for my next update with some photos!!

No comments:

Post a Comment